As of July 1, 2019, shoppers and businesses of Prince Edward Island are encouraged to use reusable bags when shopping.
The Plastic Bag Reduction Act comes into effect July 1, 2019. The intent of the law is to reduce waste and environmental damage resulting from single-use checkout bags and to encourage a shift to use of reusable bags.
The Act prohibits a business from providing plastic checkout bags to customers. The alternate use of paper bags or higher quality reusable bags is encouraged as they generally hold more, result in less waste and are more durable.
AS AN ISLAND RETAILER, WHAT DOES THIS NEW LAW MEAN FOR PEI CANNABIS?
the Plastic Bag Reduction Act applies to all businesses that provide checkout bags (not just grocery) as of July 1, 2019. The following key points apply to businesses of Prince Edward Island:
- a business can no longer provide plastic checkout bags to customers (PEI Cannabis has never had plastic checkout bags available to customers);
- no biodegradable or compostable checkout bags as an option;
- PEI Cannabis large paper bags are an option (with a minimum charge of $0.15 per bag) or reusable checkout bags;
- PEI Cannabis small recyclable paper bags are available at no charge;
- PEI Cannabis will retain the fee (subject to HST) collected for both the large paper bags and reusable checkout bags. The fee must be displayed on the customer receipt;
WHAT DOES THIS NEW LAW MEAN FOR YOU, OUR VALUED CUSTOMER?
- PEI Cannabis may provide you with a large paper bag option (at a minimum cost of $0.15 per bag), a reusable checkout bag or a small recyclable paper bag at no charge;
- Download the Consumer Question and Answer sheet
To learn more about the Plastic Bag Reduction Act, please visit www.princeedwardisland.ca/checkoutbags